Brandon and I are in no way history buffs, however we do like to reference the past when having a friendly debate with each other. I mean after all… you have to prove who is right, right;) We were debating which president declared Thanksgiving a federal holiday, Washington or Lincoln? Turns out it was a bit of both.
George Washington proclaimed Thursday the 26th of November 1789 a national day of “public thanksgiving and prayer” devoted to “the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be.” Then during the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of “Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens”, to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November. Making it a Federal holiday. So really I guess we wouldn’t have one without the other.
And of course we can’t forget about the “First Thanksgiving” celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in 1621. This feast lasted three days, and it was attended by 90 Native Americans (as accounted by attendee Edward Winslow) and 53 Pilgrims. The New England colonists were accustomed to regularly celebrating “thanksgivings”—days of prayer thanking God for blessings.
Ok, with all this thankfulness going on we wanted to share our Thankful List. Every year as part of our Thanksgiving tradition we gather at the table, load up our plates, say a prayer for our scrumptious dinner, and then share what we are most thankful for.
WE ARE THANKFUL FOR:
• amazing family + friends who are both loving + supportive
• walking hand in hand as husband and wife on an incredible adventure
• chilly mornings that start with a hot coffee, warm sweaters + a leisurely breakfast
• walks on the sand along the bay with our pooches
• waffles every Saturday
• watching the sunset over the ocean
• text messaging
• happy + awesome clients
• creative talent
• puppy snuggles from Tampa to wake us up every day
• challenges + struggles, for they form our character and help us grow
• our Faith
• the classroom of silence
• our teardrop trailer to escape in from time to time
• freedom to be unique
• but most of all, the endless love God pours down on us each and every moment