Brandon and I lovelovelove our date nights!!:) We just celebrated 9 years of marriage in August and we have been doing date nights since our very first month. It’s our little way of taking time to just enjoy each other, to laugh, to be spontaneous. We forget the world exists for a day and most important it’s time for us to fall even more in love with each other! On date nights or date days we allow our souls to dance with romance, be giddy with flirtation and radiate with smiles of bliss-filled joy. We look deeply into each other’s eyes, we truly see each other.
This may all sound corny but it has been such a blessing for our marriage.
Today Christmas is coming to an end and the New Year has begun which means we are heading into winter. Three more months of dating in the cold, without the festive ambiance of the holidays. So we wanted to share some of the date nights or date days we enjoy during the cold season here in the North Georgia Mountains.
Winter Date Nights
- Snow Island – We are super active. So our date nights tend to revolve around doing something fun and outdoors. This year we are planning a local trip to Snow Island. They have snow tubing, ice skating (which we love), a snowball fight area, carnival rides, fire pits and s’mores.
- Hiking – We actually do this often but on a “date day” we will hike the entire day away. Typically we start our morning with pancakes or waffles then layer on some hiking clothes grab our pups, pack a lunch and head out the door. We aim for an open mountain view (Preacher rock is a great one) at the mid point of our hike or a waterfall (Tallulah Gorge) so we can eat lunch while taking in the beauty. Then the four of us hike back and have dinner at one of the local pubs where hiking clothes and our pups are welcome.
- Mountain Biking – We leave the pups at home but the rest of the day looks a lot like our hiking day. It starts with a wonderful warm breakfast, layer clothing, great views and a packed lunch. However, we end this night a little differently. Most of the trails all end at our local Army Ranger Camp, about a mile from our house. So we stop in for a cold draft + a game of pool. Then head home to build a fire and eat dinner under the stars as we cuddle up under a warm blanket. By the way if you need a bike shop while you’re up in Dahlonega stop in at Nimblewheels Bicycles and see our friend Ryan. He is a master on the bikes and he knows all the awesome trails!
- Snow Date Day – If we are lucky enough to get a snow day we take full advantage of it. Typically there is at least one a year. Our little town totally shuts down, so we do too. That date day typically starts with hot homemade cappuccinos. Brandon plays the guitar while I cuddle up on the couch watch it snow. Then after lunch we grab our pups, layer up and head out for sledding and playing in the snow. By dinner we are home making homemade soup. Then it’s time to put on a good movie and cuddle up by the fire.
- PJs Date Day – This we do once a year as well. It is typically a rainy day and we decide that morning to stay in our PJs all day. But we don’t just binge watch tv we have a little routine. The morning is long, quiet and leisure. We enjoy morning prayer followed by some praise and worship and a yummy breakfast. Following that we typically play a game together like dominos or a board game. About 2pm we eat lunch followed by a nap on the couch together. When we wake, we snack on some chocolate while we pick out a good movie. We then make heavy snacks for dinner + popcorn and watch a great movie. We like to end our night with wine and slow dancing to one of our favorite records. Yep, it is our lazy day and we have to have at least one a year!
- Go To A Play – Theater has both our hearts. When it is too cold outside for an adventure date we dress up and go see an awesome play, musical or a theatrical performance.
- Art Museum – Obviously we also love art so we have done date nights at art museums as well followed by dinner + wine.
- Double Date Night – We are blessed to have friends who do date nights as well. So every now and then we will plan a double date night at either our house or theirs. Whoever hosts cooks dinner for 4 (a four course meal – so it is fancy) and the other couple brings wine. We trade back an forth to make it fair:)
- Explore A New Little Town Or Head To An Old Favorite – Often we will head over to Athens and spend the day eating at a new little cafe, stoping in at a brewery, spending hours in the record shop picking out our next album together and just walking around the historic downtown.